XUL renderer for KDE

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 19 10:21:13 PDT 2003

FYI:

Uncharacteristically, here's product of Gerald Bauer's "xul-announce"
mailing list that is *really* for xul, not for "xul-wannabes".

KaXul is for rendering xul on KDE using Qt; here's the README file:

- What is it?
KaXul is a tool for parsing XUL (see
http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xulref/)
and converting it to something that can be displayed natively in KDE.
See also: http://www.xulplanet.com/references/elemref/quickref.html

Uxul is a tool to take a XUL file, run it through KaXul, and execute it
directly with Qt and KDE subsystems.

- What works?
As of today, this can read in some XUL files and generate very basic
.ui files
which can be viewed with kuiviewer.

- What needs to be done?
Finish the converter for XUL files, add support for JS binding, add CSS
parsing
(from KHTML ideally), turn it into a library that can take a .xul file
and run
it.

- Are you crazy?
Maybe.

- XUL sucks.
Doesn't matter what you think; we're going to need it in Konqueror
eventually.
Might as well start supporting this stuff earlier.

- How do I test it?
Build the xul2ui test app, then find some .xul files, download them and
run
them through it.  Run kuiviewer on the resulting .ui file to see how
well it
worked.

- Can I work on it?
Yes, if you know how to code and can understand XML, XUL and .ui files.
  Please
email George -first- if you want to change any structure around.  Do
NOT use
any KDE libraries yet.  This code is to remain Qt-only as long as
possible.

- How do you pronounce that?
I call it "casual" (kaxul), and "usual" (uxul).

it's at:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdenonbeta/kaxul/
README?rev=1.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Matthew Brooke
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
735 State Street, Suite 300
Santa Barbara, CA  93101-3351
Phone:  805-892-2503
FAX: 805-892-2510