[tcs-lc] Names as Objects

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 9 06:51:34 PST 2005

Hi all:

   The current exchanges are great in many ways but we must find a
balanced view. I am currently participating in a meeting of ecologists
and biodiversity researchers who are developing new semantics
("ontologies") to interpret data stemming from many sources and places,
in order to resolve their inherent heterogeneities and integrate them in
complex analytical workflows. The TCS developments are similarly aimed
at facilitating such metadata annotation and semantic enrichment (what
do these two names uses actually mean?). We need to get Code-prescribed
semantic connections among names right but cannot view them so narrowly
as to shut the door on a much richer conceptual perspective, which more
often than not is in use anyway (even if were not yet very close to
modeling it).

   There is no question (as Greg Whitbread mentioned before) that we
need to make a better case for the upshots of such semantic enrichment
with pretty much all communities involved ("nobody will publish this
concept stuff..." - well, let's see about that). In the meantime, the
TCS will enable new ways and platforms for labeling and connecting the
products of taxonomic research. Very similar efforts are ongoing in
other communities interested in long-term, large-scale biodiversity
analyses. We're trying to catch up now.

Nico