[seek-web] [Fwd: Re: SEEK wiki page]

Steve Tekell stekell at lternet.edu
Fri Oct 22 14:06:58 PDT 2004

on the remaining open items....

#2: regarding logging out:

With (container managed) security like this, closing your browser will force
your session to end.  Similarly, the session will timeout automatically
after a period of inactivity.  Although, this period is shorter on the
production server than what is actually declared in the app configuration.
I don't yet know why it's timing out early like that and it works fine in my
dev and test environments.  Anyway, it's possible to implement a
(programmatic) logout if there's a need for one.

#9 and #10: regarding the naming Community section formerly know as
Contributors and the subsection of Intranet/Team Communities and related
organization:

We went around and around on this issue before and never found a clear
winner.  At this point, my question is can people find what they are looking
for?  If so, then there's no point in making any changes.  If not, what
would be better and why?

Regarding the meaning of "Community",
well looking to the Simpsons we learn from some TeleCom MegaCorp PR woman
"Communications" + "Unity" = "Community"

Mostly it just seemed like a better alternative to "Contributors" and not
too long to fit in the Nav panel.  Nothing we came up with at the time
sounded great.  Which is why the home page has stuff like this:
http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WelcomeToSEEK#section-WelcomeTo
SEEK-OnThisSite
To explain it and all the other sections a bit better with more than one
word.