[seek-taxon] PLANTS data update

Guala, Gerald - Baton Rouge, LA gerald.guala at la.usda.gov
Tue Nov 1 10:50:14 PST 2005

Greetings All,

A fedex package with the definitive complete new version of PLANTS (4.0)
names is on its way to Bob Peet.

Our group in Ft. Collins is reformatting the full new distribution data
set and will have it to me to send to Dave by the end of the week.

We have a database here with a complete mapping of PLANTS 3.5 (what's up
on the web now) to PLANTS 4.0 (what I just sent to Bob) but the
interpretation is based on an enormous amount of metadata that resides
in Mark Skinner's head.  Unfortunately Mark is booked a few hundred
percent  so if we want the full mapping in an easily interpretable
formet we'll have to figure a way to buy him out of other projects for a
little whjile to produce that.

I do have full copies of three versions (the new, current, and the
previous version) here that I could send out unmapped though.
There appears to a change of app. 4K accepted names in a group of nearly
40K between vers. 3.5 and 4.0.

Cheers,
Stinger

Gerald F. Guala, Ph.D.