[seek-taxon] [Dev] Franz, party of 3

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 12 11:23:48 PDT 2005

Thanks, Pmark!

Hi all:

   Yes, Huyen went into labor at midnight on Saturday and fought for
nearly 30 hours to have the baby delivered vaginally, which at one point
the doctor and nurses no longer recommended because she had little
energy left, was swollen up inside and the baby was just too big for her
body. 22 of those hours she went without any medication until progress
was stalling. I have never seen anyone fight so hard without so much as
shedding a tear. On Monday morning at 5:30 am Skylar Kieu was born,
weighing almost 9 pounds and (I think) measuring over 22 inches. She's a
huge joy already and Huyen is still recovering after losing all her
stomach contents and lots of blood during labor. But, everything seems
to be going just fine, mom's starting to get up around again and we're
expecting to leave the hospital by tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm taking
yesterday and today off and will likely restart on Wednesday working
from home. No pictures yet but they'll come some.

Happily,

Nico