[SEEK-Taxon] Re: LinneanCore Group Work

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Nov 12 17:13:08 PST 2004

(I dropped people who I know subscribing SEEK-Taxon list, Jessie,
Niko, Rich, Robert and I; any other?)
Hi Nico,

>     The point is: both of you actually place your own preferred measuring
> sticks for achieving what I called goal 2 in my previous e-mail (better
> communication about nature) over goal 1 (managing information in taxonomic
> publications/database in precise and lasting ways).

Definitly no at least for me.  I propsed to have both.  See my
plesentation 2 on TDWG site.  Goal 2 is covered as a summary of goal 1
data objects, and hence I assume that we have goal 1 prior to goal 2.

> The TCS enjoys no such luxuries!

I don't think so.  TCS is well desiged so it is capable to cover both
with only minor modifications.

Re-use of LC outside TCS is slightly different issue in my
understaing, because LC/TCS interaction/unification is re-use of
name-string part, not name (name means relationship between
name-string and defition, so TC in TCS).

>     I would propose that the success for the LC/TCS interaction will depend
> much more on an understanding of broadly sustainable and flexible
> information management challenges than on a clean distinction of
> nomenclature and taxonomy.

LC/TCS issue is not nomenclature or/and taxonomy.  It is name-string
or name issue.  LC can't harm TCS because LC does not manage name.
LC people do not want to re-invent what is already done in TCS.  We
decided to exclude vanacular name issue because it contains concept
relationsihp falling into TCS' scope;  we believe TCS covers
this side.  I'm very unhappy that anything ending with 'nym' comming
into LC except nymmies nothing have with concept; homotypic things
would be on borderline. However, we need to explore parhaps as a part
of process of looking TCS relationship type (tentative) list.  I hope
other LC people shares this thought.

Cheers,
JMS
--
Dr. Nozomi "James" Ytow
Institute of Biological Sciences / Gene research center