[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Joshua Madin madin at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 22 10:04:57 PDT 2006

First, I appear to have confused people: Shawn is correct, I was just
trying to replicate what Ferdinando had said in his email.  This is
NOT what oboe looks like.  I'm working on placing a visual
representation of the current version of oboe on the SEEK wiki for
reference.  I apologize for the confusion.

Second, as it stands, I see both Observation and Measurement as
records.  So yes to your question Ferdinando: we only care about
record.  Observation simply defines the thing of which different
characteristics were measured.  More than one characteristic can be
measured, such as name, height, color, etc.  It provides a neat
mechanism for describing context, which is ultimately our goal.
Maybe the problem (like most of our problems) is the term that we've
used to name this function: "Observation".  Maybe careful definition
will solve this problem.  Or maybe we should call it something else?

josh