[ecoinfo] ecoinformatics job opening

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 6 10:03:53 PST 2002

Hi,

We have a job opening at NCEAS for a position on our ecological
informatics development team. The job description is below. Could you
pass this announcement on to anyone you think might be interested?  The
closing date is soon (March 8).

Instructions on how to apply are at:
http://hr.ucsb.edu/Employment/howtoapply.htm

More information on our research projects is available at:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org

Thanks,

Matt

Software Developer
[TECHNO III, COMPUTER & NETWORK]
MARINE SCIENCE INSTITUTE
Job Number: 2002-02-036
Salary: $4,072-$5,704/mo.
Opening Date: 02-26-2002
Apply By: 03-08-2002

Current Status:
Open Duties: Assists in the creation of a national software
infrastructure for management and analysis of ecological and
environmental data. Performs graphical interface design for Web-based
and desktop data management applications; Web-design and development for
ecological Web sites; development of general purpose metadata and data
conversion applications. Creates end-user documentation and training
materials. Develops and maintains Java applications for ecological data
management.

Minimum Requirements: Expertise in Web design and development (HTML,
XML, CGI), including computer graphics, stylesheet languages (CSS,
XSLT), and software programming (Java, Perl). Expertise using and
maintaining software development systems, including build systems (e.g.,
an, make), software source code control systems (CVS), and bug tracking
systems. Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write
end-user documentation about highly technical systems in a manner
understandable to ecological and environmental scientists.
Desirable: BA degree or equivalent education and experience. Experience
in or exposure to ecological and environmental science research.
Quantitative analysis and statistical skills, especially in the SAS
environment. UNIX experience and understanding of common Internet
technologies (HTTP, LDAP) and emerging Internet standards, such as XML
Schema and RDF.

Special Conditions: Works at the National Center for Ecological Analysis
and Synthesis located in downtown Santa Barbara. Position funded for 1.5
years based on current NSF awards to UCSB, possible continuation
depending on funding.

Matt Jones                                    jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Fax: 425-920-2439   Ph: 907-789-0496